Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sweet Roasted Chestnuts




I've always wanted to do the ole tradition of roasting chestnuts...maybe not over an open fire as my oven would suffice. I got this idea from a show I recently watched where they made drunken chestnuts....I know right? So I had to try it. The peeling was painful....but totally worth it in the end. Burned thumbs and sticky nuts...sounds good to me!

1lb whole chestnuts
4tbls salted butter
4tbls sugar
Sprinkle of cinnamon
1/4cup dark rum (optional)

Preheat oven to 400F

Make a slit in each chestnut with the point of a sharp knife to prevent the chestnuts from bursting. Roast the chestnuts in a shallow dish or baking sheet for 20 minutes. Peel the shell of the chestnuts while they are still warm. In a pan melt the butter over medium heat, add the peeled chestnuts. Sprinkle with sugar. Let cook for about 7 minutes until the sugar is dissolved. Remove the pan from heat and add in the rum...be careful! Cook for another 10 minutes until alcohol has been cooked out and the liquor is syrupy. Cook longer if needed.

Serve hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment